- Salary (KES): KES 1,465,524 basic per annum
- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Special Needs Education
Job Description: Project Administrator and M&E Assistant
Responsible to: Project Officer-RELi
Responsible for: National Volunteer (1) and Community Volunteers (7) Location, Group & Function: Field Based-Either Laikipia or Isiolo
Salary KES 1,465,524 basic per annum
Contract type Fixed Term
Full Time 35 hours per week
Application Closing Date 01 Mar 2021
Interview date To be confirmed
Start date From April 2021
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Job Purpose: The purpose of this role is to work in close collaboration with county governments, Education Actors, schools, parents, communities and volunteers to deliver Right to Education and Life for Children with Disabilities Project.
• Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the approved activity plan and with support from the project officer
• Lead in identification of potential schools; assessment of implementing partners, and contribute to project design and adaptive programming
• Conduct administrative and financial duties related to all aspects of project implementation; organise all necessary logistics for project activities, such as meetings, events, workshops, trainings, M&E activities etc..
• Maintain an effective communication system and ensure information flow between project and relevant parties.
• Undertake extensive travel to project Counties to lead in implementation of activities, capacity building of volunteers, implementing partners and primary actors.
• Ensure quality administration and financial management in all project sites
• Assist in drafting contracts, work plans, budgets, and writing project internal and donor reports.
• Manage and regularly check project assets to ensure their right purpose of use, maintains data management and filing system for the projects.
• Provide support for other VSO activities as reasonably requested by supervisors and in line with organizational priorities.
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
• Lead in the development of the project M&E framework with a complete Indicator Definition framework.
• Lead project evaluation activities such as baseline, mid and end line evaluation; ensure project M&E plan is in place.
• Ensure effective monitoring of activities to achieve project outcomes.
• Lead in documentation of change stories and development of knowledge products for VSO cross-learning.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
▪ Bachelor’s degree in Special Needs Education or inclusive Education
▪ At least 2 years’ experience working in the field of both project management, finance or administrative experience in an NGO or community based organisation.
▪ Evidence of knowledge and skills in Monitoring and Evaluation
▪ Evidence of previous experience in implementing Disability project
▪ Proven experience in coaching and mentoring of team members
▪ Good written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills, Kenya Sign Language skills is an added
▪ Ability to work effectively as a team member and with minimal supervision
▪ Good written and oral communication
▪ Evidence of effective problem solving and organisational skills
▪ Evidence of professionalism and high integrity
▪ Evidence of openness to learning to improve own performance
▪ Communicating & influencing: Proactively builds relationships and generates effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas
▪ Managing knowledge: Proactively seeks out new knowledge sources (people and data); uses and shares knowledge effectively
▪ Working together: Proactively enables and encourages teamwork in others
▪ Striving for excellence: Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement
▪ Managing resources: Organises own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; allocates budget wisely; seeks ways to generate and save money
▪ Managing people: Builds an effective team with clear objectives; allocates work appropriately; deals with poor performance and recognises success
Duty of Care and Safeguarding
▪ Provide duty of care for volunteers in the project in collaboration with the Project Officer and VSO Safeguarding structure
▪ Ensure adherence to VSO and MoH COVID prevention measures throughout all implementation areas
• Ensure security and safety for project workstation and liaising with Hosting Partners to ensure smooth running of the offices.
• Supervise and support Volunteers, and project stakeholders, including logistical and administrative support.
• Represent VSO in meetings with government and other relevant stakeholders as required
▪ Developing people: Gives constructive feedback that helps others identify and meet development needs
▪ Leading for the future: Is enthusiastic about VSO’s work, lives VSO’s values and is open to new ideas
▪ Thinking strategically: Makes decisions based on a range of internal and external factors and long-term impact; consults widely across disciplines
▪ Delivering results: Analyses objectives, considers options, plans and manages appropriately; holds self and team accountable for achieving goals
Desirable Criteria: (skills that could be an advantage in the role)
▪ Knowledge on gender and inclusion practices
▪ Evidence of having managed Child protection and Safeguarding caseload
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we are protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy