- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Accounting, Commerce or Finance / Auditing
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Germany (VSF Germany) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. VSF Germany supports livestock and agricultural production systems, marketing, food safety, drought responses and mitigation, capacity development of communities and governmental institutions, peace and conflict resolution. The desired impact of VSF Germany interventions is to increase agricultural and livestock productivity as well as related incomes; and subsequent improvements of food security and livelihoods for millions of people in the countries of operation in the Greater Horn of Africa. Countries programs are designed to deliver integrated programing solutions that address the key challenges and needs that enable our beneficiary groups, particularly men, women, the youth and other disadvantaged and marginalized groups to access skills, opportunities and resources that contribute to the improvement of their productive lives and development of communities.
VSF Germany currently implements activities in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda. Country programs are coordinated from the Regional Office Nairobi (RON) which plays a key role in facilitating the Country Offices and its national partners to deliver on inclusive, sustainable pastoral livelihoods through implementation of livestock and agricultural development programs. In addition, RON supports assurance of compliance of program implementation actions to internal procedures, statutory requirements and donor requirements.
The temporary audit assistant position will be a temporary contract for a fixed period not exceeding six (6) months.
DUTY STATION AND SUPERVISION
The position holder will be based at the Regional Office in Nairobi as the duty station and reporting directly to the Head of Internal Audit. S/he shall liaise directly with all other program staff as may be necessary to achieve the set objective.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties include but are not limited to:
- Delivery from planning to completion the program of work as set out in the internal audit plan as part of continuous auditing.
- Updating the status of the previous internal and external findings on a quarterly basis, reviewing resolved issues and preparing the quarterly status report in the set format for review by the internal auditor
- Assist in carrying out operational audits which evaluate and encourage compliance with prescribed organizational policies and procedures in order to promote operations efficiency.
- Assist in carrying out financial audits to check the accuracy and reliability of accounting records, safeguarding of company assets, and reports on the reliability of the VSF G’s financial statements.
- Assists with developing and performing testing of VSF G’s internal control environment related to the initiation, authorization, recording, processing, reporting and disclosure process of financial transactions and financial reporting to verify compliance with set guidelines and requirements.
- Carry out compliance audits which evaluate both VSF G’s and employee compliance with the regulations and rules of the countries of operation, rules governing NGOs, and other governing regulatory agencies.
- Assists with developing and performing testing of Special Study audits, which are performed upon request. This is an audit that takes place as a result of a report of unusual or suspicious activity on the part of a department or individual.
- Assists with developing and performing Fraud audits.
- Competently utilizes audit tools, techniques, and procedures in all assigned internal audit programs.
- Collect, analyze, interpret and document information which supports internal audit results. This includes presentation of clear, concise and timely working papers in line with international internal auditing standards for review by the internal auditor
- Make recommendations to VSF G management and suggest changes to the policy, procedure manuals, forms, processes, etc.
- Reports audit evaluations in the form of written audit reports to the Internal Auditor and Management. The timely delivery of professional written draft reports and practical value added recommendations on issues arising during audit work
Perform other duties as assigned
Experience, skills and knowledge requirements
- University degree in bachelors of commerce accounting option or any other related business degree
- Full membership of a recognized professional accountancy body
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of working in an audit environment (Experience in NGO audits and Projects Audit is an added advantage).
- Excellent technical audit and accounting skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively at all levels
- Ability to present adequate working papers to enable the internal auditor to assess work done and matters to be reported
- Act in a professional and ethical manner at all times including observing the confidential nature of internal audit’s work
- A positive and flexible can do attitude and self-starting ability with the aptitude to take ownership of projects as required and see them through to completion
- Highly organized with strong organization and planning skills, ability to prioritize tasks and deliver assigned audits in line with the audit plan
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidate who meets the minimum requirement should send their applications on or before 10th of February 2021 with the subject ‘Audit Assistant’. The application documents should include the following, all in one document:
- Cover letter for application (max 1 page).
- Updated CV of not more than 3 pages and with at least 3 professional referees.
Do not submit copies of transcripts, academic degrees, or recommendation letter at this stage as you will provide them up on request only.
NB: Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.