- Exp.: Some Experience Required
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Geography & GIS / IT or Computer Science / Lands or Survey
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Head, World Environment Situation Room (WESR) Unit, the National UN Youth Volunteer will:
- Support the WESR Unit in its role as UNEP’s UN Map revision focal point.
- Provide map revision service to all UNEP Divisions.
- Support implementation of the World Environmental Situation Room by collating/compiling existing geographic and tabular data from existing sources/data partners.
- Organise spatial and alphanumerical environmental socio-economic data from different sources and partners to support development of the World Environmental Situation Room.
- Linking alphanumerical environmental/social-economic data to geographical files for mapping
- Support creation of high-quality map visuals using GIS systems
- Assist with other related data and information work in the unit as instructed and guided by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments: First level university degree in geospatial engineering, surveying/ GIS, remote sensing, computer and website applications from an accredited and recognized academic institution, is required
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in geospatial engineering, surveying/ GIS, remote sensing, computer and website applications areas required
- Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Fluency in spoken and written [ Insert language requirement here] is required , and knowledge of (additional language) is an asset;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
French(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams