- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Master's Degree
- Specialism: Development Studies / Economics or Statistics / IT or Computer Science / Research
The African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) is a leading Pan-African transdisciplinary network of researchers, policymakers, private sector actors and the civil society actors that promotes the generation, dissemination, use and mastery of science, technology and innovation (STI) for Africa’s development, environmental sustainability and global inclusion. In collaboration with like-minded institutions, ATPS provides platforms for regional and international research and knowledge sharing to build Africa’s capabilities in STI policy research, policymaking and implementation for sustainable development. We work through national chapters located in 30 countries (27 in Africa and 3 in the Diaspora including Australia, United Kingdom and the United States of America). Our Headquarters is located in Nairobi, Kenya where we enjoy the Diplomatic privileges accorded other United Nations and International Organizations based in Kenya. The ATPS Mission is to improve the quality of STI systems research, policy and practice by strengthening the capacity for STI knowledge generation, dissemination, and use for sustainable development in Africa. The Overall Objective is to build Africa’s capabilities in science, technology and innovation for sustainable development and global inclusion. The ATPS Phase VIII Strategic Plan, 2017-2022 identifies four thematic priority areas of intervention namely: Agriculture, food and nutrition; Energy; Climate change and environment; and Health innovations. The Strategic Plan also identifies five cross-cutting programmatic priority areas namely: STI policy research, policymaking and advocacy; Training, sensitization and capacity building; Youth and gender empowerment; Knowledge brokerage, management and commercialization; and Intra-Africa and global collaboration. ATPS has over 5,000 network members and 3,000 stakeholders in over 51 countries in 5 continents with institutional partnerships worldwide.
ATPS is seeking to recruit a Research Assistant skilled personnel to be based at its Secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya to support the implementation of its new programmes and projects. This position requirements are described below.
Research Assistant (National position)
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to desk studies, literature reviews, data analysis and report writing as may be assigned by Supervisors;
- Organize and undertake fieldwork and case studies as may be assigned by Supervisors;
- Keep up to date with developments in STI policy issues, as well as qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Assist the research team to manage existing research programs and projects;
- Assist in developing proposals and fundraising for projects/programs;
- Assist the Training and Research Manager to organize meetings, workshops, and seminars for the institution;
- Maintain accurate computerized and manual files and records for ATPS research programs/projects; and
- Participate in dissemination and training workshops organized by the ATPS.
Delegation of Responsibilities for this position will be as follows:
- 80% time to be spent in research and program activities
- 20% time to be spent in fundraising activities
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Master’s Degree in Science, Technology and Innovation Studies, Research and Development Studies, Economics, and other related disciplines;
- At least two years relevant experience in research, project management, monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong skills in research data analyses and report writing;
- Strong skills in Statistical Computing; and
- Fluency in English, written and spoken. Proficiency in French will be an added advantage.
- Good character
- A Self-starter with a strong desire to learn
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an application letter stating their motivation for the job and a detailed curriculum vitae with at least three (3) referees.
The deadline for the submission of application is on Monday, 27 September 2021. Use the job title “Research Assistant” as the subject of your email when submitting your applications.