- Exp.: Some Experience Required
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Digital or Social Media / Journalism & Communication / Public or External Relations
Terre des Hommes Netherlands is looking for a full time communications intern for the Kenya Country Office, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. This is a national internship, open to applicants who can prove the right to live and work in Kenya. Internship period will be for six months starting from April 2021.
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
TdH-NL in East Africa works within four child protection themes: the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC), the Worst Forms of Child Labour (WFCL), Child Trafficking and Unsafe Migration (CTM), and Child Abuse (CA) specifically focusing on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights. Through collaboration with local civil society organisations (CSOs), TdH-NL implements development, humanitarian/relief and advocacy interventions in various parts of Kenya, supported by own TdH-NL funding and from various foundations.
Our Vision: Terre des Hommes Netherlands works towards a world where all children have a decent life and can grow up to be independent adults. A world in which children are no longer exploited. We will continue our work until this is accomplished.
Our Mission: Terre des Hommes Netherlands prevents child exploitation, removes children from exploitative situations and ensures these children can develop themselves in a safe environment.
Objective of the internship
To act as the focal point for all communication on behalf of the Kenya Country Office, with audiences that are both external (for organisational profiling) and internal (information needs of colleagues); informed by the need to constantly communicate results, increase visibility, profiling and positioning in the country with the government, other organisations and most importantly with donors and key funding agencies.
The communications intern reports to the Country Manager Kenya, while at the same time receives mainly technical guidance from the Senior Communications Officer East Africa, with whom (s)he will be working closely together.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support in implementing the communications plan for Kenya
- Create and manage dedicated accounts/pages on social media (Facebook, Twitter) for the Kenya Country Office, in line with TdH-NL’s house style
- Draft and implement the website and social media content planning for the Kenya Country Office
- Collect and produce content for the website and social media (mainly case stories and news items), both in images and in words
- Draft / produce communication and profiling materials for the Kenya Country Office, such as one pager fact sheets
- Support the procurement of branded items, if and where applicable, and other initiatives to increase TdH-NL’s visibility in-country
- Provide hands-on support in the campaigns and events that are coming up within the Kenya country programme
- Manage the email@example.com mailbox, in close consultation with the Country Manager
2. Assist in improving TdH-NL’s branding/visibility through local partners
- Support in guiding partners and country team colleagues in the application of TdH-NL’s guidelines for branding and visibility
- Ensure proper branding is applied before designs are submitted to the Senior Communications Officer for formal approval
- Monitor branding compliance by partners and make suggestions for improvement / additions
3. Support the Senior Communications Officer for the region
- Collect and compile information from the Kenyan programmes for onward sharing within the TdH-NL organisation (e.g. the communications colleagues working in the region and Head Office): case stories, events, milestones, results, etc
- On request, assist in other implementation tasks such as updating the TdH-NL website and regional Social Media accounts
Knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or multimedia.
- Experience in Social Media and web content management (including working with content management software), writing and editing for the web and Social Media, basic graphic design and site management.
- Computer literacy: well conversant with working in the Google Cloud and its applications (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc), including basic skills in working with photo and video editing software.
- Ability to undertake desk research using various (mainly internal) resources.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, in fluent English.
- Thorough and precise working style, with strong attention to detail.
- Dynamic, self-motivated and self-starting personality who can and will take initiative.
- Social skills to work on his/her own within a team.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of child protection issues in Kenya
- Ability to plan and organise well, setting goals and achieving results in line with the goals set.
- Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities.
- Fast learner with ability to follow instructions.
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter, curriculum vitae and a maximum of three recent examples of your editorial work with subject line Communications Intern Kenya clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this internship, not later than by Sunday 28th February 2021.
For more information about this internship, you can contact us through the same application address.
Please note that this is a national internship. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Kenya.
Kindly also note that due to the expected large responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional/academic references.