- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Diploma
- Specialism: Agriculture, Horticulture or Aquaculture / Plant/Animal Sciences
Are you passionate about agriculture? Do you have experience as an Agricultural field extension officer? Are you result-oriented and self-driven? Would you like to be involved in improving agricultural production in Kajiado County? Then probably you are the right person we are looking for.
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is a regional Not for Profit development organization with over 10 years of experience in delivering agricultural development and resilience-building interventions focused on value chain development in the ASAL and other counties of Kenya. The NGO is concerned with the promotion of sustainable agricultural practices to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty by implementing climate smart, innovative, enterprising and sustainable interventions that contribute to mainstreaming good agricultural practices and market-oriented approaches, generating and diversifying household incomes among smallholder farmers and enterprising youth & women enterprises, thereby contributing to the long-term agenda of ensuring a food secure and a healthy nation.
The Extension Officer will work in Kajiado County together with the farm manager under the supervision of Project Coordinator to roll out extension services to beneficiaries in Ildamat, Purko and Dallekutuk wards. The Extension Officer will spearhead the outreach program and undertake the following responsibilities:
- Plan and administer training and capacity building to farmers on good agropastoral practices.
- Recruit and supervise farmers’ progress.
- Supervise and coordinate distribution of farm inputs to farmers.
- Provide agribusiness support to farmers on crop and animal production.
- Manage end to end farmer management from season to season.
- Support and coordinate SAII programs with other stakeholders.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports.
- Aid in the aggregation and marketing of agricultural produce of the beneficiaries.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Agricultural Extension, Agronomy, Animal Production, or equivalent.
- 2 – 3 years extensive experience in Field Extension.
- A passion for Agriculture.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to offer technical livestock and crop production support to farmers.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
- Must possess a Driving License with motorbike endorsement.
- Experience in working in ASAL areas will be an added advantage.
- Kajiado County locals with good command in Maasai language will be highly considered.
Candidates who meet the requirements should send their CV and a cover letter motivating their interest in the position, detailing current and expected salary and Skype and mobile contacts by COB (19th February 2021) and follow the application instructions on the site.
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted candidates, whose CVs are received into our database will be contacted.