- Exp.: Not Specified
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Business Admin, Management or Development / Engineering or Technical / IT or Computer Science
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
At Pula, we are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide.
We work in 12 countries across Africa and Asia, and in 2019, we facilitated crop insurance cover to over 1.3 million farmers across Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia and Malawi. In 2020 we are on track to double this number and achieve financial break-even.
Pula is fast-paced, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges. We are a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, we are:
1. Customer Obsessed: Pula’s insurance protects those who feed the world, and we are obsessed with delivering value to smallholder farmers as we build the systems that protect them against catastrophic risks together with global insurers, businesses and international NGOs.
2. Groundbreaking: We stretch the limits of what’s possible, bringing agricultural insurance to places where it has never been before.
3. In the trenches together: financially sustainable businesses for agriculture in Africa are tough to build and rare to achieve success, and so we have each others’ back as we build this new Africa.
4. Make it happen: We execute at a high level, even in complex circumstances and with tight seasonal deadlines, with the goal of building a sustainable and profitable enterprise
We have been funded by venture capital investors (Omidyar Network, ACCION, MercyCorps) and global philanthropic institutions (MasterCard Foundation, CGAP/World Bank as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates
The Pula Intern – Product Development
Pula is seeking a Product Development Intern, who will be working alongside our Innovation team to manage products from ideation through launch. This role will get hands-on experience with all facets of product development and gain an insightful perspective on what it’s like to be at a fast-growing organization. The Product development Intern will primarily work with the Innovation team to manage the day-to-day operations for our portfolio of new products currently under development
Tasks can range from carrying out desk research, making calls to insurance agents, sales calls to farmers, designing process flows as well as ideation.
The Intern – Product Development & research will report to the VP – Innovation
● Testing of new products by engaging end users (Insurance agents and farmers) in calls to determine product viability
● Conducting market research for new products under development
● Assisting on ongoing projects on an ad-hoc basis
● Prepare high-quality reports and presentations to share insights and conclusions from testing or research engagements
The right applicant would have the following skillset:
● Bachelor’s degree with an outstanding academic record in business, technology, engineering or similar relevant field
● Extremely strong quantitative and data analytics skills, as well as report writing and presentation skills
● You have either experience or interest in working in rural farming contexts and are passionate about helping smallholder farmers build resilience
● You have the ability to translate concepts into logical, detailed, written action-plans
● You are on top of all your tasks and are very well organized (your manager should never have to remind you about tasks and deliverables, deadlines, email responses, etc.)
● You are willing to speak up independently when there is a problem to be solved
● You have the ability to professionally and respectfully dissent, and logically debate challenges
● You are fully comfortable with GSuite applications (Google Sheets, Google Docs, G-Slides etc.) and are able to adapt to new systems easily (e.g., ClickUp, Slack, Jira, Metabase, CommCare)
● You are comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and can manage multiple projects in parallel
Benefits and compensation
Pula will offer a competitive remuneration package to the right candidate with benefits such as pension, health and life insurance as standard. For expatriate candidates we facilitate work permits.
To learn more about Pula:
● TED: Crop Insurance, an Idea Worth Seeding
● New York Times: He Grew up on a Farm. Now, He Helps Protect Them
● The Economist: The Poor, Who Most Need Insurance, Are Least Likely to Have It
We accept applications on a rolling basis but recommend applying as soon as possible. If interested, please send your resume.