- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Not Specified
- Specialism: IT or Computer Science / Software Engineering
Industry and Organization History
Health systems, as they exist today, exclude people from care. Half of the world’s population lacks access to essential health services. For many people, the nearest doctor or nurse can be hours, or even days, away, and the health facilities that are reachable are unaffordable, understaffed, and under-resourced. Gaps in health systems are bridged by approximately 1.3 million community health workers (CHWs) worldwide, who provide basic health care to local residents and link them to the healthcare system. Unfortunately, most CHWs are disconnected from the formal health system and are largely unsupported after a few days of pre-service training. Despite the rapid development of technology and communication infrastructure in these same parts of the world, technology is underutilized or ineffectively applied to support healthcare where it is most needed. When health systems are not designed to deliver care for patients, people lack access to quality care. Our founders were inspired to create Medic Mobile after understanding the daily efforts of CHWs caring for others, amidst these systemic challenges, in the poorest areas in rural Malawi.
Medic Mobile is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 2010 to advance health and human flourishing with and for the hardest-to-reach communities. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is a secured human right. Practically, we have advanced our mission by building, implementing, and supporting open-source digital tools that support Community Health Workers, managers, and facility-based health workers. Along with our partners, we build and apply software that helps health workers deliver high-quality, equitable care in redesigned health systems. Our team and partners support more than 28,000 frontline health workers caring for an estimated 15 million people in 18 countries across Africa and Asia.
Each member of our team was drawn to this mission and emboldened by a vision of global health equity. Our diversity of skills and experiences helps us tackle complex challenges – we look forward to hearing from you and exploring ways to work together.
A Senior Software Developer reports to the Engineering Manager, works closely with the Director of Technology and the rest of the cross-functional product team, and is responsible for the full development life-cycle of Medic Mobile’s web-based mobile health software.
Software Development: 85%
- Design, build, document, and ship software that improves healthcare outcomes in underserved communities around the world.
- Provide timely, thorough, constructive code reviews.
- Work with Medic Mobile and its partners along the entire software development life-cycle: understand problems, capture requirements, design modular software systems, write great software, and document everything along the way.
- Participate in daily stand-up meetings, weekly iteration reviews, and monthly milestone reviews.
- Learn new languages, platforms, toolkits, libraries, tools, and application development paradigms as necessary.
- Contribute directly to open-source and free software projects as appropriate.
- Follow up on issues that are raised in public repositories.
- Evaluate reported bugs (new issues) within 24 hours after submission, optimally to find a solution, provide a workaround or assess priority and/or complexity.
- Assume release-manager responsibilities when assigned to a release.
- Adhere to the team development workflow.
- Contribute to and adhere to the team coding style guide.
Strategic Planning: 5%
- Work with the Director of Technology and development team to guide platform development and technical strategy.
- Evaluate tools and technologies; develop long-term software and platform roadmaps
Team Support: 10%
- Consult on technical needs for larger-scale deployments, including local hosting, SMS aggregators, app scalability, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the product team to turn user insights into new features and interfaces that help empower our users.
- Work with regional tech leads in Africa and Asia on configuration of Medic’s toolkit as needed.
- Provide remote troubleshooting support to active deployments as needed.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Are an experienced developer comfortable forging ahead independently as well as collaborating effectively with a remote team across many time zones.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of full-time, paid work experience (sorry, bootcamps are great, but not adequate experience)
- Detail oriented and value learning in depth.
- Can communicate effectively in English over video and text chats as part of a results-focused distributed team.
- Have developed, deployed, and maintained production web applications.
- Are productive in a UNIX-like environment, and can script your way out of trouble if necessary.
- Are excited to work with modern web technologies, NodeJS and CouchDB.
- Are capable of picking up front-end JS frameworks, even better if you are already a master with one of them.
- Enjoy working closely with designers and other members of a cross functional team to iterate upon solutions and solve problems together.
- Have a reliable fast internet connection and a quiet place to collaborate with remote team members.
- Preferably based in Kenya or in East Africa. We are open to remote global teammates as long as you are able to find suitable overlap with teammates in Europe, North America, and NZ.
- Are able to travel for 1-2 weeks a year for meetups and site visits.