- Exp.: Some Experience Required
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Civil Engineering
The Transport Planning Intern will support ITDP’s programmes in Kenya over a three to six-month period in the form of field surveys, data analysis, mapping, and report preparation. Potential project areas will include public transport, complete streets parking management, and urban development. The specific focus area can be tailored to the interests of the Intern. The Transport Planning Intern will be based in Nairobi and will report to the Country Manager, Kenya.
- Design and carry out transport surveys.
- Collect, process, and analyse transport data.
- Assist with mapping and setup of transport models.
- Preparation of conceptual designs for walking and cycling facilities and public transport corridors.
- Prepare project reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student in Civil Engineering with an interest in sustainable transport.
- Familiarity with transport planning, public transport, non-motorised transport (NMT), topographic surveys, and pavement design.
- Experience in design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Excel.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Excellent writing skills in English and Swahili.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Excellent research and analytical skills; enjoy working with numbers!
- Ability to communicate well, make powerful presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, even when under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
How to apply
The successful applicant will be provided with a monthly commuter stipend for the duration of the internship. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information with “Transport Planning Intern, Kenya” in the subject line:
- Samples of written and visual work, including AutoCAD drawings.
- An idea for improving the bus system in your city
The position will remain open until filled.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law