- Exp.: Not Specified
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Business Admin, Management or Development / Customer Care
Vacancy Number: IOMKE/CFA/029/2021
Position title: Internship (Remunerated)
Duty station: Nairobi
Duration of assignment: 3-6 months
Seniority band: n/a
Job family: Migration Health Division
Organizational unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
Position rated: n/a
Subject to rotation: No
Reporting directly to Senior Customer Care Assistant
Overall supervision by Head of the IOM Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC)
Managerial responsibility None
Directly reporting staff n/a
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the IOM Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) Nairobi and the direct supervision of the Senior Customer Care Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible for performing routine administrative functions such as switchboard operations, handling inquiries and providing refugee/immigrant assistance as required.
1. Operate the switchboard, place/transfer and receive telephone calls.
2. Provide accurate information and answer to telephone or walk-in queries from applicants regarding their schedules and directing them, as required.
3. Screen and usher visitors and applicants.
4. Consult with the Data Processing Assistants and Nurses in order to obtain the necessary information and to accurately provide information and answers to customer queries.
5. Maintain confidentiality of health data and other personal information related to the migration health status of applicants.
6. Issue migration health appointments to applicants in accordance with the schedule provided by the Data Processing Assistants.
7. Ensure that reception area is well organized and presentable at all times.
8. Record and distribute incoming and outgoing correspondence/phone calls.
9. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Customer Care Assistant.
Inclusion & respect of diversity
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all tam members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse pints of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
• Upholds and promote the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain.
Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards and self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
• Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a “hands-on” approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
• Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of won role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Managing & sharing knowledge
• Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
• Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timelines of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes apply lessons learned for improvement.
The incumbent will acquire technical skills in the area of Customer Care, Client Relations and gain valuable experience in working in an International multi – cultural environment with an Inter-Governmental Organization.
Education and Experience
1. All applicants must be between 20 and 36 years of age.
2. Currently enrolled in the final academic year undertaking Course in Business Administration, Customer Relations or any related field, or Is currently enrolled in a graduate school programme (undertaking a degree or equivalent), or Can be a graduate of a university or related institution with a Degree in Business Administration or any related field.
3. Pays attention to detail and meets deadlines.
4. Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
5. Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
6. Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word etc).
English and Swahili
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application by sending a Motivation Letter and the updated CV referring to this advertisement.
Closing Date: 07 September, 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.