- Exp.: Some Experience Required
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Agriculture, Horticulture or Aquaculture
Internship-Support capacity building of farmers and their adoption of eco-efficient on farm practices and technologies
The 2SCALE program is designed to incubate and accelerate inclusive business development in African agri-food systems. 2SCALE works together with companies (African, Dutch and other small and medium-sized enterprises – SMEs) and producer organizations (POs) to develop business models and partnership models that promote inclusiveness, develop competitive edge, and have potential for scaling. These partnerships, also referred to as public-private partnerships (PPPs), are the core implementation modality to achieve the objectives of the program.
Specifically, 2SCALE supports partnerships in target agri-food industries with significant potential to:
- improve food and nutrition security, both at grassroots level and at the consumer end of the value chain by serving local and regional markets (including Base-of-the-Pyramid – BoP – markets) with nutritious food products.
- improve the terms of inclusion of smallholder farmers and other micro-, small-, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the value chains
- attract and employ the youth
- engage and empower women
To strengthen PPPs, 2SCALE also collaborates with companies and organizations that provide a specific expertise to support the target agri-food value chains or act as a major off-taker in the chain.
2SCALE is co-funded by the private sector and by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Directorate-General for International Cooperation (DGIS). Building on a first phase (2012-18), the current phase of 2SCALE runs from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2023. It is awarded to a consortium led by the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) and comprising the Base-of-the-Pyramid Innovation Center (BoPInc) and the Netherlands Development Organization (SNV).
2SCALE supports the introduction of eco-efficient innovations that improve farm productivity in a sustainable manner. Several activities focused on agronomic trainings, soil fertility enhancement and access to improved seed varieties are proposed to be implemented to achieve this objective in most partnerships. Through this internship, 2SCALE will offer support to farmers, business champions, Business Service Support (BSS) service providers and other relevant actors to realize these planned activities.
- Familiarize with farm level productivity constraints in the partnerships by reviewing all relevant documents and conducting field visits when necessary.
- Identify in consultation with partnership facilitators, partnership adapted interventions to increase farm productivity. These include but not limited to Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), soil fertility management etc.
- Contribute to the development of action plans and budgets to implement these interventions.
- Support the set-up of demonstration farms and organization of field days and training sessions with farmers, and coordinate data collection in conformity with 2SCALE’s Monitoring and Evaluation procedures.
- Support data collection and other monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities.
- Build a good working relationship with the 2SCALE country team.
- Contribute to quarterly country team reports and other technical reports as necessary.
- Produce blogs, field stories and other communication materials and document challenges and lessons learned in farmers’ adoption of green innovations.
- Any other assignments that the 2SCALE country team deems necessary for the success of the program.
Learning opportunities for the intern
To facilitate the performance of these tasks, 2SCALE will provide capacity development support to the proposed intern. He will benefit from the diverse expertise and experiences of 2SCALE staff both locally and internationally, through coaching in inclusive agribusiness development, and further support to carry out field activities that demonstrate how 2SCALE works with farmers to make its PPPs inclusive. These will help the intern build confidence and groom him/her to take up major roles in the future (which includes a possible 2SCALE role if opportunities are available).
|Activity reports||<Word>||Not less than 7 working days after each field activity||The report must include but is not limited to the following elements:|
Schedule and Level of Effort
Intern will work for a fixed term of three months, effective April 1, 2021 until June 30, 2021. This could be renewed for another three months based on satisfactory performance.
The intern will be posted at Nairobi, Kenya, in 2SCALE’s office hosted by IFDC and will travel to the field when needed.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in agribusiness related courses (Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Information Management, Agricultural Extension, or any other related course).
- The intern should have completed university course within the last one year.
- Has access to a personal computer for the period under internship.
- Computer literate.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Good report writing skills.
- Previous internship or volunteer experience working with farmers.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to the field.
- Ability to work in Nairobi with frequent travels to the field.
- Team player
Collaboration and Reporting
The intern will report to 2SCALE’s Soil Fertility Expert and collaborates closely with the country team leader, the Green Innovations Liaison and partnership facilitators to align with the country work plan and priorities of each partnership.
Interested candidates are required to send their CV and cover letter as one document with the email subject ‘2SCALE IGI Internship Position’ on or before Friday, 19th March 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.