- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Master's Degree
- Specialism: Development Studies / International Relations/Development / Public Policy / Administration / Safety & Disaster Management
We are seeking a highly qualified candidate for an internship position in stakeholder engagement and policy integration to Disaster Risk Management. This position is aimed at supporting the stakeholder engagement and policy integration for the Nairobi City, based on the work articulated under the CRE programme. The position provides commensurate remuneration and a career growth opportunity in the area of research and development. Ideally, this position is expected to play a catalytic role in understanding and promoting a desired culture shift from emergency response to more integrated risk preparedness and development planning. Additionally, the individual will be expected to play a key role in supporting the science-policy relationships through supporting research translation, convening policy roundtables and supporting the establishment of a systematic and organized community of practice in DRR management in Nairobi. Working closely with different partners within the Programme, the intern will be tasked to consolidate fieldwork processes and relay fieldwork experiences, needs and insights to the coordination office and various fora such as research meetings, policy roundtables among others.
Job title: Intern: Stakeholder engagement and policy integration to Disaster Risk Management
Line manager: Dr. Joanes Atela (Head of Climate Resilient Economies Programme).
- Support the linkage between ongoing field activities and the city coordination office processes, identifying progress and reporting needs and support required in real time.
- Support linkages and coordination of fieldwork activities across various workstreams ensuring complementary actions and building synergies with ongoing initiatives within the informal settlements.
- Convey field insights to the various policy forums including policy roundtables, research meetings and community of practice meetings
- Support fieldwork activities for various research teams including creating liaison with community groups in the field in preparations for specific research activities including research meetings among others
- Work with researchers to prepare fieldwork plans and create relevant linkages with different groups within the target community to openly and easily engage with researchers
- Work with researchers to understand the filed process and identify their respective needs
- Support stakeholder engagements and community groups at the local level through creating more awareness about the project in target informal settlements
- Perform any other duties and assignments that maybe given from time to time by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a minimum of Master’s degree qualifications in Disaster Management, Public Policy, Development Studies, International Relations or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in stakeholder engagement and policy integration.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience in working in research and policy environment and ambitious career goal around research and development.
Skills and competences
- Excellent interpersonal, management and communication skills with proven ability to support narratives to describe the results.
- A team player and ability to build strong working relationships, and experience of working across different disciplines.
- Intercultural competence and ability to engage different sets of stakeholders
- Ability to work under limited supervision and meet deadlines
- Good writing skills and demonstrated ability to engage in technical writing
- Ability to write effectively and report to different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver to tight deadlines and to work on a wide range of different demands.
Terms of Employment
- Six (6) months renewable based on performance with the possibility of advancing to the next position.
- The position provides a competitive remuneration
- Provides an opportunity to work and establish networks with globally renowned researchers in the field of Disaster Management and with real career growth opportunity in the area of research and development.
- The position provides an equal opportunity for all, and women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To apply: Please send:
- Updated CV of not more than 5 (five) pages including 3 (three) relevant referees and a list of publications
- A one-page research proposal
- A one-page motivational letter
- Certified copies of degree certificates and transcripts
- Copy of identification card or passport (data page, only for internal record)
- Two academic reference letters
Application letters should have the title of the position as the subject of application.
For further details about this position please contact Dr Joanes Atela, Head of Climate Resilient Economies Programme at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note the application deadline for this position is 5th August 2021.