- Exp.: Some Experience Required
- Min. Education level: Master's Degree
- Specialism: International Relations/Development / Public Policy / Administration
We seek leaders who are passionate about making a difference, possess exceptional analytical skills, and thrive in an entrepreneurial, developing country setting. The ideal graduate intern would be interested in joining IDinsight in a full-time role following their graduation and would take advantage of the graduate internship to identify a potential long-term role in the organization. Successful graduate interns are highly likely to be considered for roles at IDinsight upon graduation.
To maximize learning for the graduate intern and contribution to IDinsight, the graduate internship will be tailored to the specific interests and skills of the intern rather than committed to certain projects at this time. The graduate internship will likely involve a semi-autonomous project within a larger client engagement, which the intern will be responsible for leading with minimal to moderate support from supervisors. Potential projects will be discussed during the interview process. The graduate intern will receive significant support and mentorship from IDinsight leadership.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence-generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance.
Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of over 150 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more at www.IDinsight.org.
About IDinsight’s graduate student internship
The graduate intern will work with one of IDinsight’s offices in Africa or Asia for a period of 8-12 weeks. The exact project assigned to the graduate intern will be the result of conversations between the intern and his/her IDinsight supervisor to ensure that it is carefully designed to meet the interests and skills of the intern and the needs of the organization. Some examples of the types of projects may include (but are certainly not limited to) the following:
- Develop IDinsight’s evaluation plan for an agricultural impact evaluation.
- Create data collection tools for a water, sanitation, and health survey.
- Analyze endline data for a quasi-experimental education study.
- Present findings from an impact evaluation to IDinsight government clients.
The Graduate Student Internship is explicitly for individuals interested in joining IDinsight full time as a Senior Associate or Manager following their graduation. We ask that all candidates reflect on their long term career goals before entering the application and interview processes.
- Currently pursuing a Master’s degree in public policy, international development, or a related field and able to take on a full-time internship role
- Strong interest in joining an IDinsight field office after graduation; commitment to IDinsight’s vision, mission, and values
- Deeply passionate about international development and social impact, with an interest in evidence-based approaches
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical skills, with experience in statistical software preferred
- Experience running field experiments or impact evaluations a strong plus
- Work experience in a developing country setting strongly preferred
- Intellectual curiosity and a sense of humor
Nuts and Bolts
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the location of these internships will vary by office:
- All other locations: Flexible, will allow either remote or in-person internships
For more information on how IDinsight is thinking about in-person work during COVID, you can read this blog post.
We require students to secure university funding whenever possible. For students without access to university funding, the internship will be paid by the applicable regional team.
We require an 8 to 12 week full-time commitment between late May and late September, depending on a student’s availability. Exact start and end dates are flexible.
How to apply
The application deadline for this position is 11:59 PM EST, Sunday, 28 March 2021.
Please click the “Apply for this job online” button top right. The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV and cover letter. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. Please note, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
More information can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.