- Exp.: Not Specified
- Min. Education level: Not Specified
- Specialism: Project Management
Duration: Six months ( February 2020 – August 2021)
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract (With possible extension based on the performance, needs, and resource availability).
Albany Associates is dedicated to the restoration or improvement of civil societies, on a global basis. We provide effective solutions through the prism of communications in many frontier markets, and fragile and conflict affected states. With a head office in London and representative offices in Nairobi, we have been on the ground devising and implementing comprehensive communications campaigns and strategies in East and West Africa and MENA regions since 2004.
Albany has a formidable track record of delivering grassroots and high-level strategic communications, public diplomacy and research strategies. We also deliver professional communications and media training and institutional capacity building in some of the world’s most challenging and complex environments including in Somalia, Kenya, Afghanistan, Sudan, Iraq, Libya, Tunisia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, the Baltic states and the Balkans.
Albany works primarily for UK and US Government departments and for respected international organizations, such as the UN, the African Union, UNESCO, UNDP and the European Union, and for government aid agencies, such as USAID, whose aims are to effect positive change in countries recently emerging from conflict for the greater benefit of the people living there.
The Programme Assistant will provide both programmatic and administrative support for a United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) climate change and conflict research project in Somalia. The Assistant will coordinate, monitor and update the research activities of the various consortium partners. S/he will gain a working knowledge of the project, focusing on coordination, strategy and office administration. S/he will ensure high quality and timely implementation of planned activities and compliance with applicable donor policies and requirements.
Reporting to the Project Manager in Nairobi, the Programme Assistant role is a unique opportunity for a self-motivated individual to join a consultancy working in the development and strategic communications sector, with a growing portfolio across Africa. The candidate should have a minimum of three years of experience in communications and administering activities in fragile and conflict affected countries (experience in Somalia is preferred) and have an undergraduate degree in international peace and conflict resolution, environment or another relevant subject. Specific responisilbities include:
- Providing programme and administrative support to project team
- Assisting the Project Manager in responding to day-to-day enquiries associated with the project
- Working with Account Executive on reporting for the client
- Coordinating with key point of contact across the consortium
- Assisting the Project Manager with local knowledge and network, shaping the project approach
- Coordinating the overall research process between the four consortium partners.
- Tracking, organising and filing programmatic and financial records and all communications to partners and other stakeholders
- Planning, organising and managing with stakeholders, including documenting discussions and actions, and organising venues, catering and transport
- Working closely with the Project Manager on consortium contract management, to ensure receipt of agreed deliverables and corresponding documents and to ensure the timely disbursement of funds
- Managing and monitoring programmatic and administrative reporting of partners
- Completing other office administration tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s/undergraduate degree
- Strong research skills preferred with demonstrated interest in climate change and security, though not a prerequisite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable experience supporting assessments, programme design, intra-governmental coordination, project management and oversight
- Experience in report writing and project monitoring
- Experience understanding of project planning and management cycles
- Experience of assisting in project finance, logistics and security
- Experience in working in challenging and volatile security environments
- Experience providing administrative support and good project management skills
- Command of MS Office software (Word/Excel/Access)
- Detail-oriented, hands-on approach and ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- A growth mindset, sense of urgency and a willingness to pitch in as required
Integrity – acts ethically, maintaining a commitment to honesty and truth in all facets of behavior that builds the trust of others.
Work Ethic – delivers accurate, timely and consistent results while understanding the need to balance short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.
Team Player – supports the overall efforts of the team to accomplish program and organizational goals and objectives.