- Exp.: 2+ Years
- Min. Education level: Bachelor's Degree
- Specialism: Accounting, Commerce or Finance
DanChurchAid (DCA) is working in Turkana, West Pokot, Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet, Nyandarua, Nakuru, Busia and Siaya counties with refugees and local communities to enhance peace, livelihoods and resilience. DCA implements projects directly as well as through local partner organizations. For more information on DCA, please visit www.danchurchaid.org.
DCA is seeking to recruit an experienced and energetic Kenyan National for the following position: Finance Assistant. The position is based in Nairobi – with some travel to DCA’s offices in Nakuru and Kakuma anticipated – and reports to the Finance Officer based in Nairobi.
Job Title – Finance Assistant
Working hours per week – 45 Hours per week including Lunch
Contract period – 1 year
Manager – Finance Officer
Location – Nairobi
Purpose of the job (brief)
The objective of the position as Finance Assistant is to ensure that the DCA finance system is updated and run in an efficient and appropriate manner according to DCA and donor requirements.
Book-keeping, payments & banking
- Timely booking of expenses on Maconomy system.
- Ensure all balance sheet accounts (Accruals, Staff Advance, Prepayments etc.) are reconciled on timely manner.
- Review all payment requests to ensure completeness, accuracy, relevance and value for money.
- Make payments on online bank platform and perform bank errands.
- Daily petty cash and bank flow management (spearhead maintenance of book-keeping and tracking expenses, including posting to the accounting system).
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations and other balance accounts as well as uploading to intranet.
- Coordinate with field finance staff to ensure seamless flow of activities at field level.
- Check and complete reconciliation of national staff payroll, including importing payroll expense to Maconomy.
- Prepare and review all balance sheet control accounts with an emphasis on the monitoring of accounts; Intercompany, Accruals, Prepayments, Staff Advances and Program Advances.
- Conduct weekly and/or monthly cash count.
- Follow up on staff travel payments & general advances.
Financial reporting (internal) & audit
- Timely preparation of quarterly office budget reports
- Ensure financial documents are properly supported, coded and filed for purposes of audit.
- Support the Finance Officer in preparing annual financial statements and timely submission to HQ.
- Support and ensure compliance with recommendations contained in audit reports.
- Participate and support in the annual office audit, including partners project audits and DCA held expenses
- Prepare financial work plan and ensure adherence to set deadlines.
Other tasks and duties
- Participate as an active and constructive team player in the DanChurchAid Country office as well as contributing to staff welfare initiatives.
- Assist and cover for the other members of the Finance and Admin team when needed.
- Take active part in regular Finance team meetings and other coordination mechanisms to enhance effective work practices within the Country Office.
- The Finance Assistant shall be committed to Humanitarian Accountability Partnership, HAP, and the accountability principles, “making humanitarian action accountable to beneficiaries”.
- Relevant Degree in Finance/Accounting or related field from a recognized university and/or (minimum) accounting qualification – CPA II
- Minimum of two years’ experience in accounting/finance/audit, preferably with INGO experience.
- Adequate working experience with any ERP system (Quickbooks/SAGE/Other).
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office; specifically MS Excel, Word and Outlook. Familiarity with using TEAMs, Zoom or other software for remote engagement an advantage)
- Knowledge of and interest in the humanitarian and development context in Kenya.
- Good interpersonal skills and a proven team player. Self-driven and results orientated in a challenging working environment.
- Excellence in English, oral and written.
The deadline for applications is: 19/03/2021
Contact person: Isabella Gacheri
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DCA offers: The position is for 12 months, subject to renewal, with a three-month probation period. DCA offers a salary package (salary, insurance, and benefits) in accordance to experience and the DCA Kenya HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of race, gender, marital status and religious, political, or ethnic affiliation. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DCA conducts a thorough anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment period.